MSCA and Mobility

The Marie Skłodowska Curie Actions (MSCA) are based on the principle of physical mobility: researchers who receive funding must move from one country to another to acquire new knowledge, skills and competences, and develop their research career. Researchers are also strongly encouraged to move between sectors and disciplines.

MSCA and the UK

The UK is an active participant in MSCA and has hosted many grant recipients from this sub-programme under Horizon 2020. From 1 January 2021, UK universities, research centres and companies can still host recipients of MSCA grants.

If these recipients are non-UK nationals, they may need a visa to visit, study or work in the UK. The UK has several visa routes for researchers who wish to visit/do research in the UK.

The UK plans to associate to Horizon Europe

As part of the Trade and Cooperation Agreement reached between the UK and the EU in 2020, the UK announced its intention to associate to Horizon Europe

Before the formalisation of the UK’s association, the European Commission confirmed that the UK can be treated as if it were already associated to the programme.

For MSCA this means UK institutions:

  • are eligible as a host for the European Fellowships
  • are eligible as incoming hosts for Global Fellowships
  • are not eligible as outing hosts for Global Fellowships

Visa options

This gives information on potential visa options for researchers coming to the UK on MSCA schemes. Please note this document gives general information on available visa routes into the UK and is not designed to give immigration advice to individuals. UKRO is not legally permitted to provide immigration advice on individual cases.

Paying tax

UK universities and institutions can continue to hire overseas staff for MSCA actions or send staff abroad as part of MSCA actions under the same legislation as in previous years. To work out what is best for you and your organisation, the following information is available:

There is also a HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) customer helpline for those living abroad, or intending to live abroad, and who have queries about UK tax issues:

03000 533 148

Outside UK:
+44 3000 533 148

Last updated: 28 March 2023

Please let us know if you have feedback on this website.