Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions – Postdoctoral Fellowships
About MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowships
The Postdoctoral Fellowships (PF) targets researchers holding a PhD who wish to carry out their research activities abroad, acquire new skills and develop their careers. PFs help researchers gain experience in other countries, disciplines and non-academic sectors.
Who should apply?
Researchers with no more than eight years of full time equivalent research experience from the date of award of their PhD can submit an application together with a host organisation, which can be a university, research institution, business, SME or other organisation based in an EU Member State or Horizon Europe Associated Country. All disciplines are eligible for PFs.
How does it work?
There are two types of PFs. With the European PF, the fellow can either move within Europe or come to Europe and the fellowship is no longer than 2 years. With the Global PF, the fellow moves from Europe to anywhere in the world. The fellowship lasts up to 2 years for the outgoing phase followed by a mandatory 1 year return phase in Europe. Specific eligibility criteria are outlines in the MSCA Work Programme.
PFs may also include short-term secondments anywhere in the world and could also include an optional 6-month placement in a non-academic organisation at the end of the standard fellowship.
What is funded?
The MSCA provides a contribution to the salary costs of the fellow, and the research, training and networking costs as well as a contribution to the overall management of the project. The full MSCA contribution is listed in the MSCA Work Programme.
Current open calls and deadline
- MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowships 2022 (HORIZON-MSCA-2022-PF-01) call opened 12 May 2022 with a deadline of 14 September 2022 17:00:00 Brussels time.
How we can support you
We are the UK National Contact Point for MSCA. You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for free information and advice.
You can attend our regular free events about MSCA calls. Every event is recorded, so you can catch up on the recordings too.
MSCA Staff Exchanges Information for Applicants Webinars , 11 and 13 October 2022
Non-academic Sector in MSCA Staff Exchanges Webinar, 19 October 2022
MSCA COFUND information for Applicants Webinar, 25 and 27 October 2022
Recent MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowship event recordings
Sessions 1 and 2, Submitted Questions
- MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowships: Navigating the UK Immigration Landscape
Navigating the UK Immigration Landscape
- MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowships 2022 Call Information Webinars - Session 1: Overview and Eligibility Rules
Watch the recording (passcode: XL@87ha@)
Introduction and Welcome, Dr. Branwen Hide, Senior European Advisor, UKRO.
2022 MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowship Call: Overview and Eligibility Rules, Anouk Lafortune, MSCA Unit, Directorate-General for Education, Youth, Sport and Culture.
- MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowships 2022 Call Information Webinar Series - Session 2: Practical Matters
Watch the recording (passcode: wv5L2P%R )
2022 MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowship Call: Practical Matters, Dr. Branwen Hide, Senior European Advisor, UKRO.
Experiences of a MSCA Fellow, case study, Dr. Sven Anderson, MSCA Individual Fellow, 2021 – 2023, with Theatrum Mundi.
- MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowships 2022 Call Information Webinar Series - Session 3: Process for Submission and Evaluation
Watch the recording (passcode: V&30@&#+ )
Introduction and Welcome, Dr. Branwen Hide, Senior European Advisor, UKRO
MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowships: Submission and Evaluation, Chris Reynolds, Head of Sector, Research Executive Agency (REA) – In case of interest, please contact the MSCA Helpdesk for these slides.
Other points for consideration, Dr. Branwen Hide, Senior European Advisor, UKRO
Additional support for UKRO subscribers
If your organisation subscribes to UKRO services, we can provide additional support.
Check if your organisation is a subscriber
While we cannot read proposals and comment on them directly, we do have resources available to help with proposal writing. Your UKRO European Advisor is available to signpost and advise on general questions you might have regarding your proposal.
What do I do now?
- Find out if you are eligible to apply, read about types of Postdoctoral Fellowships, and what the funding covers by visiting the MSCA website.
- We recommend you read about the financial support available in the current work programme to see if this is right for you.
- Apply on the Funding & Tender opportunities portal.
- If you do not already have an account, you need to register on the portal
- If you or a partner organisation need a Participant Identification Code (PIC), register for one the Funding & Tender portal
- Do you still have any questions? Send us an email