​MSCA and Mobility

The Marie Skłodowska Curie Actions (MSCA) are based on the principle of physical mobility: researchers who receive funding must move from one country to another to acquire new knowledge, skills and competences, and develop their research career. Researchers are also strongly encouraged to move between sectors and disciplines.

MSCA and the UK

The UK is an active participant in MSCA and has hosted many grant recipients from this sub- programme under Horizon 2020. From 1 January 2021, UK universities, research centres and companies can still host recipients of MSCA grants. If these recipients are non-UK nationals, they may need a visa to come to the UK to visit, study or work. The UK has several visa routes for researchers who wish to visit/research in the UK.

The UK associating to Horizon Europe

As part of the Trade and Cooperation Agreement reached between the UK and the EU, the UK has announced that it will associate to Horizon Europe

In the run up to the UK's association being formalised, the European Commission confirmed that the UK can be treated as if it were already associated to the programme.

For MSCA this means:

  • UK institutions are eligible as a host for the European Fellowships
  • UK institutions are eligible as incoming host for Global Fellowships
  • UK institutions are NOT eligible as outing hosts for Global Fellowships

Visa options

The factsheet below gives information on potential visa options for researchers coming to the UK on MSCA schemes. Please note this document gives general information on available visa routes into the UK and is not designed to give immigration advice to individuals. UKRO is not legally permitted to provide immigration advice on individual cases.

Factsheet: Mobility to the UK on Marie Skłodowska Curie Actions (MSCA)


Paying Tax

When hiring overseas staff for MSCA Actions, or sending staff abroad as part of MSCA actions, UK universities and institutions can continue to do this under the same legislation as in previous years. In order to work out what is best for you and your organisation, the following information is available: 
There is also a HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) customer helpline for those living abroad, or intending to live abroad, and who have queries around a UK tax issue: 
03000 533 148
Outside UK:
+44 3000 533 148